Another holiday has (almost) come and gone and now we are left with the ramifications of too many sweets and one two many trips to the kitchen for another round around the counter. Some of us, may of indulged in a few too many adult beverages. While others, may have found that case of left over pop in Grandma’s basement and had a too many couple sodas.
However you may have gotten to the point where you are at now…bloated, exhausted, and on a low from the sugar crash, do not feel like there is no turning back. We all have slip ups from time to time and sometimes it’s just not easy to be healthy ALL the time. These tips are how I usually get back on track after the holidays and I hope that you all find them useful in your search for a fresh start.
Top 5 Tips for a Holiday Detox
- Get back to your normal routine — eat at your usual meal times, avoid heavy consumption of alcohol & make sure you are getting enough sleep.
- Reduce your sugar intake — avoid dessert & those sugary drinks from your favourite coffee shop.
- Implement small goals that are achievable — i.e. reducing the amount of coffee you drink in a day OR reducing the amount of topical salt you are using when cooking or seasoning your meal.
- Stick to all 5 food groups — to avoid cravings don’t eliminate food groups from your diet but rather reduce your intake of them to smaller portion sizes.
- Exercise — the weather is getting nicer and if you have been in hibernation mode it’s time to get back outside.
The last thing I want to leave you with is this; it takes 4 weeks for you to notice a change. It takes 8 weeks for your friends to notice a change. It takes 12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice a change. It takes 1 day to decide that you are enough.
And guess what…YOU are enough.