This week for Fresh Start I wanted to use an ingredient that is a staple in my household, Quinoa.
Back in 2013 the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations declared that year to be recognized as the International Year of Quinoa. Quinoa seeds contain essential amino acids, calcium, phosphors, and iron. They are also high in protein and extremely easy to cook.
Some other perks of the tiny little seed are that it is high in fiber, gluten free, full of antioxidants, and can easily be incorporated into your diet. Making it the perfect ingredient for our Fresh Start recipe this week.
- 1/2 cup of Quinoa
- 1/2 cup of chopped pepper of your choice (i.e. red, green yellow)
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup of chopped tomato (cherry tomatoes works best)
- 1 tablespoon of crumbled Feta Cheese or Goat Cheese
- Bring 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup of quinoa to a boil, cook up the seeds become clear & the water is absorbed.
- Let the cooked quinoa cool.
- Mix in your veggies, avocado, & cheese.
- Serve chilled.
This amount is good for 1-2 servings. To increase the serving, for every cup of quinoa you add make sure you had double that amount of water. This salad can really be made to your liking. If you wanted to, you could add chopped up chicken breast, green onions, celery or really any type of vegetable you like. I just added in what I already had in my fridge. I hope you enjoy! The Fresh Start recipe is sure to give you some inspiration this week as it’s a great option for lunches.